Posted by: corozmum | October 21, 2011

Making a Camera Cake

After my research I was ready to make the cake. I started with 2 x chocolate sponge cakes. One 20cm square and the other 18cm x 28cm. The square cake was cut into thirds. Two of the thirds had their tops trimmed so they could be stacked up. The top piece was left untrimmed to give a curved shape.

I had been trying to figure out what to cook the cake in to make the cylinder shape required for the lens. A lady at work suggested I use a cookie cutter and stack up several pieces to make the lens. I cut 3 medium rounds and 2 large rounds out of the rectangular cake. It worked a treat!

All the blogs I read made comment about the time taken and difficulty in shaping the grip. The cookie cutters worked so well for the lens I used the medium one to cut out another 2 rounds, cut them in half and they stacked to form the grip.

A few off-cuts formed the raised piece where the manual viewfinder is located.

The cake cut & shaped.

Butter (or Viennese) icing was used to layer the pieces together.

Then the cake was covered in the butter icing. I forgot to take a picture of it covered! This gives the royal icing something to adhere to.

I can’t make royal icing so I bought a packet one. After it was manipulated by hand until it was malleable, I got a sheet of baking paper and disposable gloves and carefully added black food colouring (a drop at a time) until I got the desired shade of grey. I made sure it was well blended before deciding I needed to add more colour.

Covered in grey royal icing

Getting the icing settled and the corners trimmed and blended was a mission. Then I made a few buttons out of the left overs.

The lens is black and not wanting to use black icing I opted to use licorice. I could not get a box of licorice straps! There were only mixed boxes with twists and triangles included. With only 3-5 narrow straps per box I had to buy several boxes. The Ref enjoyed eating my reject licorice.

The butter icing was so soft the licorice wouldn’t stay on so I wrapped around baking paper tied with string until the icing set.

The lens wrapped to hold the licorice in place.

I wanted to add the fabric look I’d seen but I didn’t have enough royal icing to cover the board. I still did it and it is not easy to get the icing to fold and pleat nicely! Details like a view-screen, shoulder strap and stars were added. After 4 hours I was over it and decided not to go with all the details I’d planned. I’m not a professional and after all it is the impression that counts.

Glassie absolutely loved it and found plenty of detail to ooh and ahh over. It tasted really good too!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories

%d bloggers like this: